Friday, June 23, 2023

Method of Mental Prayer

 
I. Preparation

A recollected life and regular Spiritual Reading are the best remote preparation.

For the immediate preparation, make three short but fervent acts:

(1.) An Act of Adoration of God present to the soul.

Example: O my God, I believe Thou art really here present; I bow down in body and soul to adore Thee. Thou art so good, I am so sinful; Thou art so great, I am only nothingness; etc.

(2.) An act of Sorrow for Sin.

Example: O my God, I am heartily sorry for all my sins of thought, word, deed, and omission, and by the help of Thy holy grace I will never sin again.

(3.) A Petition of Light and Strength.

Example: O my God, give me light to see Thy holy Will, give me grace to do Thy Will. O Wisdom of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, direct me in all my ways. O Love of the Sacred Heart, consume me in Thy fire.

Add Hail Mary to the Blessed Virgin and an ejaculation to St. Joseph, your Patron Saints and Angel Guardian.

II. Body of Prayer

To help your mind, read a text of Scripture or a short Meditation out of a book. St. Teresa read a book in her Meditations for seventeen years.

Meditate for a few minutes on any thought that has struck you; that is, think for a short time on what it means, what lessons it teaches you, and ask yourself: What have I done about this hitherto? What shall I now do? But remember, you think only in order that you may pray.

The great benefit of Mental Prayer consists less in meditation or thinking that in acts, prayers and resolutions, which are the fruits of Meditation. The thinking is the needle which draws after it the golden thread of acts, prayers and resolutions. The thread is more important than the needle. The chief part of the time of Mediation should, then, be spent in making:

1. Acts and Affections:

The word Act will suggest the most important. A stands for Adoration, C for Contrition, T for Thanksgiving and Love. Love is the golden chain binding us to God. St. Thomas says: Every act of Love merits eternal life." One act of Contrition, hating sin for the Love of God,  obtains pardon for sin. Make many acts of love and sorrow.

2. Prayers of Petition:

In Mental Prayer it is extremely useful, and perhaps better than all else, to make many earnest petitions for the graces you want. Always ask for (a) the Perfect Forgiveness of all past sin; (b) Perfect Love of God; (c) the grace of a Holy Death." In the beginning," said Father Paul Segneri, S.J., "I used to employ the time of Meditation in reflections and affections, but God opened my eyes, and then I gave myself to petitions, and if I have any good in me, it comes from that practice."

3. Resolutions:

The progress of a soul," says St. Teresa, "does not consist in thinking much of God, but in loving Him, and this love is gained by resolving to do much for Him." Make one practical resolution that you can, and mean to keep that day.

III. Conclusion

Three short fervent acts―
(1) Thank God for the light He has given you; (2) Renew your resolution to abstain from some fault or to do some good thing that day; (3) Ask the Eternal Father, for the love of Jesus and Mary, to help you to keep it.

The acts and prayers of petition should occupy the most of the time of Medition. Thus in a half-hour's Meditation, give three minutes to the Preparation: think for five minutes, and then pray.

St. Alphonsus' advice to a saintly Religious who found it hard to make her meditation. He writes―"First read a little then make a determined number of acts and prayers. For example―fifty acts of love; fifty offerings of yourself; fifty prayers to obtain perfect love and holy conformity to the will of God. It matters little whether you perform these acts with sensible devotion or not. Address acts of love and prayers to the Blessed Virgin. 



No comments:

Post a Comment