Monday, September 14, 2026

The Last Page Under the Apple Tree


Dear Diary,

We met once more under the apple tree this morning, bundled in sweaters and jackets against the cool autumn air. I was grateful for another gathering in our familiar spot, though I had been dreading this meeting a little. We had reached the last chapter of Our Lady of Lourdes, and I simply didn’t want the book to ever end.

I read the chapter summary aloud through teary eyes. More than once, I had to pause and steady my voice.

Bernadette was no longer at Lourdes. She had entered the Sisters of Charity at Nevers, taking the name Sister Marie-Bernard. After all the crowds, questions, and excitement surrounding her, she had chosen a quiet life caring for the poor and sick. She wanted neither money nor recognition. Her treasure was in belonging to God and serving those who needed tenderness.

What touched me most was that her simplicity remained. Even through illness and suffering, she carried on with patience. Having delivered Our Lady’s message, she was content to step out of sight.

Then came that final thought: the very book that had told us so much about Bernadette would never be read by Sister Marie-Bernard herself.

I sat quietly for a moment after reading that. A few leaves stirred above us. It felt like watching someone dear walk away down a peaceful path, glad for her, but wishing she could stay a little longer.

Our discussion was especially tender today. We talked about how difficult it can be to do something good without wanting anyone to notice, and how Bernadette found a whole life’s purpose in humble service. I wondered aloud how often I overlook an opportunity to care for someone because I am busy thinking about something less important. This last chapter gave me plenty to carry home in my heart.

And then, of course, there was ice cream.

Robert had brought Dairy Queen soft serve, along with hot fudge tucked into a small thermos to keep it warm. Ice cream on a chilly morning might have seemed a curious choice, but the warm fudge tipped the scales toward comfort. With our jackets pulled close and that lovely chocolate melting into the soft serve, we were quite happy to linger beneath the apple tree.

Mini had a little dish of soft serve, too, and attended to it with a seriousness that made us all smile. Every so often, I looked down to see how the dish was coming along. There was very little left to wonder about!

None of us wanted this to be the end of our meetings. We agreed that we would keep gathering, although we still have to choose another book and find four copies of whatever we decide upon. That may take a little searching. For today, it was enough to know that there would be another meeting.

Before we said goodbye, we bowed our heads beneath the apple tree for a blessing:

“May the Lord bless us and keep us, guide us safely home, and help us carry the kindness we have shared into the lives of others. May Our Lady watch over us until we meet again. Amen.”

I closed my book gently afterward and held it in my lap a moment longer. I will remember this morning: the cool air on my cheeks, the warm fudge, our thoughtful conversation, and the dear company gathered beneath the branches.

I am still sorry to have finished the book. But tonight, when I think of Bernadette, I think of her tending someone sick, doing the small work before her with love. Tomorrow, I hope I will remember to do the same.

Our Lady of Lourdes, gentle Mother, pray for us. Bring comfort to the sick, courage to those who suffer, and peace to every troubled heart. Help me to follow Bernadette’s example of humility, patience, and faithful service. Watch over our little reading circle and all those we love, and lead us ever closer to your Son, Jesus. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment