The weather was so lovely today that we took advantage of it and held our Reading Club meeting beneath the apple tree. Robert and I sat across from Sister and Father, while Mini settled near the lunch basket. She seems to know exactly where a corgi is most needed.
I read the summary of Chapter Two aloud. Lucy had begun tending her family’s sheep in the hills, and Francis and Jacinta missed her terribly. When their mother allowed them to care for their own flock, the three children could spend their days together again.
“They made looking after sheep sound like a holiday,” Robert said.
“Work is often happier when it’s shared,” Sister answered.
We talked about how the children hurried through their rosary after lunch because they were eager to play and pick blackberries.
“I might have been thinking about the blackberries, too,” I admitted.
“Especially the big ones,” Robert added.
Sister smiled, but reminded us that prayer deserves our attention, just as a friend does when we are talking together. That made me think about the times I finish my prayers without remembering much of what I’ve said.
Father spoke about the children’s ordinary lives—their chores, games, and family evenings—and how little they knew of what God had prepared for them.
“We aren’t given every tomorrow at once,” he said. “We can ask for the grace to be faithful today.”
I liked that. The chapter’s ending made me wonder how much good could begin with a little faith, hope, and love in our own hearts.
Then we unpacked lunch: egg salad sandwiches and sliced tomatoes. Robert noticed that the egg salad was especially yellow.
There was a very good reason. Mini had been given some of the egg whites in her own little dish!
“I see someone has had a say in the sandwiches,” Father said.
Mini kept eating, quite satisfied with the arrangement.
We lingered beneath the branches after lunch, enjoying the pleasant weather and talking about the next chapter. Before we left, I read our closing prayer slowly, remembering Sister’s words.
Dear Lord, thank You for this beautiful day, our food, and our friendship. Help us to do our work willingly, pray with attentive hearts, and grow in faith, hope, and love. Blessed Mother, watch over our reading club and our families, and lead us closer to your Son. Keep us in Your care until we meet again. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment